Dr.-Ing. Jürgen F. Brune, P.E.
Professor of Practice and Associate Department Head
Research Director, Edgar Experimental Mine
Mining Engineering Department
Dr. Brune started his career in the mining industry in 1983 in Germany with RWE-Rheinbraun, a surface lignite operator, where he was Mine Engineer at the Hambach Mine and Planning Manager for the Fortuna-Bergheim and Ville Mines. In 1992 he joined Consol Energy in Pittsburgh, USA, where he worked as Asst. Superintendent at the Arkwright Mine (underground longwall coal), Manager of Engineering Services and Director, Business Process Improvement. In 2004 he joined the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) where he served as the Chief of the Mine Disaster Prevention and Response Branch at the NIOSH Office for Mine Safety and Health Research (OMSRH) in Pittsburgh, PA, and as the Director of the NIOSH Research Division in Spokane, WA. In 2012, he returned to the Colorado School of Mines as a professor in Mining Engineering.
Dr. Brune is a licensed professional engineer (Colorado 48366), a professional engineer in Germany (D-2977), and a professional engineer in Europe (EUR-ING no. 28098). He is a Distinguished and Registered Member of the Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration (SME, no. 407850RM) and a Councilor and Qualified Professional Member of the Mining and Metallurgical Society of America (MMSA, QP no. 1367). Dr. Brune is also a Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) Approved Instructor for surface and underground mine safety and health training under 30 CFR Part 48 and a Certified Underground Mine Foreman in the State of West Virginia. He is the Editor-in-Chief for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration (MMEX) journal (Springer) and a member of the Board of the International Academy of Mine Safety and Health (IAMSP).
- Dr.-Ing., Mining Engineering, Technical University Clausthal, Clausthal-Zellerfeld, Germany, 1994
- MSc, Mining Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, 1983
- Dipl.-Ing., Mining Engineering, Technical University Clausthal, Clausthal-Zellerfeld, Germany, 1981
- Mine Safety and Health
- Mine Fire and Explosion Prevention, Spontaneous Combustion
- Computational Fluid Dynamics Modeling
- Surface and Underground Mine Design
- Mine Data Communications and Automation
- Coal Mining
- MNGN 316 Coal Mine Design
- MNGN 424 Mine Ventilation
- MNGN 470, 570 Mine Safety and Health Management
- MNGN 414 Mine Plant Design
- MNGN 524 Advanced Mine Ventilation
- MNGN 546 Mine Health and Safety
Books, Book Chapters and Book-Like Reports
- Brune, JF; Calizaya, F; Mucho, TP; Mutmansky, J; Tien, J; Weeks, JL (2007): Final Report of the Technical Study Panel on the Utilization of Belt Air and the Composition and Fire Retardant Properties of Belt Materials in Underground Coal Mining, U.S. Department of Labor, Mine Safety and Health Administration, December 2007:132 p.
- Zipf, RK; Sapko, MJ; Brune, JF (2007): Explosion Pressure Design Criteria for New Seals in U.S. Coal Mines, Department of Health and Human Services, CDC NIOSH Information Circular no. 9500, July 2007, 84 p.
- Brune, JF; editor (2010): Extracting the Science – A Century of Mining Research, Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration, Inc., Denver, 2010, 544 p.
- Anderson, C; Brune, JF; Heasley, K; Ramami, RV; VanZyl, D: SME Review Course for Professional Engineer (P.E.) Examination of Mining/Mineral Processing Engineers, SME Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration, Denver, 2013-2018, 1,050 p.
- Brune, JF, editor (2017): Proceedings of the 16th North American Mine Ventilation Symposium, June 2017, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Colorado, ISBN 9780692869680, 670 p.
- Brune, JF (2018): Mine Ventilation Networks Optimized for Safety and Productivity. in: Hirschi, J., editor, Advances in Productive, Safe, and Responsible Coal Mining, Elsevier Woodhead Publishing, ISBN 978-0-08-101288-8 (print), 978-0-08-101301-4 (online).
Patent: Brune, Jurgen; Goertz, Ben; Bogin, Jr., Gregory; McDaniel, Sean; Rockley, Tyler; Soares Barreto, Flavia; Duddempudi, Vinay; Robert, Katherine and Kapela, Nick (2015): Pneumatic Mine Dust Sampling Instrument, U.S. Patent 10,371,605, issued August 6, 2019
Recent Peer Reviewed Journal Publications (* denotes graduate student working under my supervision)
- Coleman, PJ; Brune, JF; Martini, L (2010): Characteristics of the Top Five Most Frequent Injuries In U.S. Mining Operations, 2003-2007, Transactions, Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration 2010; Denver Jan 2010 326:61-70
- Brune, JF (2012): Arbeitsschutz und Grubensicherheitswesen im U.S.-Amerikanischen Bergbau – Probleme und Lösungsansätze (Mine Safety and Health in the U.S. Mining Industry – Problems and Solutions; in German); World of Surface and Underground Mining Journal, GDMB Gesellschaft für Bergbau, Metallurgie, Rohstoff- und Umwelttechnik, Clausthal-Zellerfeld, Germany, no. 6, December 2012, p. 382 – 389
- Brune, JF (2013): The Methane-Air Explosion Hazard Within Coal Mine Gobs, SME Transactions, Vol. 334, 2013, p. 376-390.
- Marts*, JA; J; Brune, JF; Gilmore*, R; Worrall*, D; Grubb, J (2013): Impact of Face Ventilation and Nitrogen Inertization on Hazardous Gas Distribution in Bleederless Longwall Gobs, SME Transactions, Vol. 334, 2013, p. 71-77.
- Marts*, JA; Gilmore*, RC; Brune, JF; Bogin Jr., GE; Grubb, JW; Saki*, SA (2014): Dynamic Gob Response and Reservoir Properties for Active Longwall Coal Mines, Transactions of the Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration 2015, Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration Inc., Englewood, CO, Vol. 336, pp. 129-136.
- Mischo, H, Brune, JF; Weyer, J; Henderson*, N (2014): Mine disaster and mine rescue training courses in modern academic mining engineering programmes, Journal of the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy 114:12 p. 987-992
- Gilmore*, RC; Marts*, JA; Brune, JF; Saki*, S, Bogin Jr., GE; Grubb, JW (2015): Simplifying CFD Modeling of Longwall Gobs with a Modular Meshing Approach, Mining Engineering, Vol. 67, No. 3, March 2015, pp. 68-72, and Transactions of the Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration 2015, Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration Inc., Englewood, CO, pp 34-38.
- Brune, JF; Grubb, JW; Bogin Jr., GE; Marts*, JA; Gilmore*, RC; Saki*, SA (2015): Lessons learned from research about methane explosive gas zones in coal mine gobs, Int. J. Mining and Mineral Engineering, Vol. 7, No. 2, 2016, p. 155 – 169.
- Fig*, MK; Bogin, Jr., GE; Brune, JF; Grubb, JW (2016): Experimental and numerical investigation of methane flame propagation in cylindrical tubes. Part I. Effects of scaling from laboratory to large-scale field studies. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries Vol. 41, p. 241-251
- Saki*, SA; Brune, JF; Gilmore*, RC; Bogin, GE; Jr., Grubb, JW; Marts*, JA (2017): CFD Study of Face Ventilation Effect on CH4 in Returns and EGZs in Progressively Sealed Longwall Gobs, J South African Institute for Mining and Metallurgy (SAIMM), v. 117 March 2017, p. 257-262, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17159/2411-9717/2017/v117n3a7
- Rawlings*, L; Brune, JF; Mischo H (2016): Collegiate Mine Rescue: Universal Benefits, Glückauf Mining Report 152 (2016) No. 4, p. 289-293, http://mining-report.de/english/collegiate-mine-rescue-universal-benefits/
- Mischo, H; Weyer, J; Becker S; Brune, JF (2016): Mine emergency response and rescue training courses in modern academic mining engineering programs, Glückauf Mining Report, v. 152 (2016) No. 4, p. 295-303 http://mining-report.de/english/mine-emergency-response-rescue-training-courses-modern-academic-mining-engineering-programs/
- Lolon*, SA; Brune, JF; Bogin Jr., GE; Grubb, JW; Saki*, SA; Juganda*, A (2016): Computational Fluid Dynamics Simulation on the Longwall Gob Breathing, Int J Min Sci Technol 2017, Vol. 27, Issue 2, March, 2017, p. 194-198, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmst.2017.01.025
- Brune, JF and Saki*, SA (2017): Prevention of gob ignitions and explosions in longwall mining using dynamic seals, Int J Min Sci Technol., online 12 July 2017, 5 p., https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmst.2017.06.026
- Brune, JF (2017): What can go wrong with mine refuge chambers? Problemstellungen beim Einsatz von Fluchtkammern im Untertagebergbau. Glückauf Mining Report 153 (2017) No. 4, p. 377-383
- Halim, AE and Brune, JF (2018): Do refuge chambers represent a good strategy to manage emergencies in underground coal mines? Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s42461-019-0100-8
222 Brown Hall
1610 Illinois Street
Colorado School of Mines
Golden, CO 80401
(m) (509) 842-6088
(o) (303) 273-3704
jbrune (at) mines.edu