Joseph R. Kraus
Arthur Lakes Library
Joe has been interested in science and engineering libraries since he started working at the circulation desk of the Beloit College library as a work study student during his four years there. After he graduated with a BS degree in physics in 1989, he found a life-long interest in amateur astronomy, and he worked at a small telescope manufacturing company, Astro-Physics. In 1991, he relocated to the Washington DC metro area from Wisconsin. While living in Maryland, he was accepted to the Master’s program in Library and Information Science (MLS) at the University of Maryland, College Park. He completed his MLS in 1995. Soon after getting his MLS, he found a position as the Engineering Librarian at George Mason University in Fairfax, VA. After a couple of years, he was recruited to be a Science and Engineering Librarian in a more interesting geographic location–Denver, Colorado. He worked at the University of Denver Main Library from 1998 to 2016. In 2019, he started working at the Arthur Lakes Library at Mines.
Over the last 25 years, he has been active in the Physics-Astronomy-Mathematics Division, the Sci-Tech Division, and the Scholarly Communication Section of the Academic Division of the Special Libraries Association (SLA) where he chaired both PAM and the Sci-Tech divisions. In 2010, he convened a STEM focused library organization called STELLA which continues to meet biennially. He was on two different publication oversight committees for both the American Physical Society (APS) and CRC Press. He was editor of the journal Collaborative Librarianship from 2009 to 2016, and he is a founding and current editor of the Journal of Creative Library Practice. He has written numerous articles and has presented on topics ranging from library unconferences, collection development, citation analysis and metrics, and social media use in scholarly communication. He is very excited to be a faculty member with the Arthur Lakes Library.
- BS in Physics, Beloit College, 1989
- MLS, Library and Information Science, University of Maryland, College Park, 1995
Some Publications & Presentations
- Open Science Initiative Working Group, Mapping the Future of Scholarly Publishing, 1st edition, Seattle: National Science Communication Institute, February 2015. http://nationalscience.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/OSI-report-Feb-20152.pdf (Contributor)
- Kraus Joseph R., Cash, Carrots, and Sticks: Open Access Incentives for Researchers (version 1). F1000Research 3:26. 2014. https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.5242.1
- Kraus, Joseph R., Altmetrics at Altitude: Attaining Higher Ground, Fall 2014 RMSLA Membership Meeting. Wednesday, October 29, 2014. https://www.slideshare.net/jokrausdu/altmetrics-at-altitude
- Kraus, Joseph R., and Kennedy, Marie, Walking the Walk: Starting Up and Cultivating Two Different Open Access Journals in LIS, Electronic Resources and Libraries (ER&L) Conference, March 18, 2014. https://www.slideshare.net/jokrausdu/walking-the-walk-for-erl-2014
- Taha, Mandy, and Kraus, Joseph R., The Citation of Open Access Resources by African Researchers in Corrosion Chemistry, Library Philosophy and Practice, Article 889, March 2013. https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/libphilprac/889/
- Cherubini, Timothy and Kraus, Joseph R., The Collaborative Face of Consortia: Collaborative Librarianship Interviews Timothy Cherubini, Director of East Region Programs, LYRASIS. Collaborative Librarianship 3(1):55-58, 2011. https://digitalcommons.du.edu/collaborativelibrarianship/vol3/iss1/7/
Arthur Lakes Library
1500 Illinois St.
Colorado School of Mines
Golden, CO 80401