Joel M. Bach
Prof. Joel M. Bach, Ph.D.
Teaching Associate Professor
Department of Mechanical Engineering
what I do
As of Fall 2022 I have transitioned to a half-time teaching position, and am therefore not actively pursuing research.
My primary focus is the continued development of the Human Centered Design Studio (HCDS) http://ability.mines.edu/. I’m also working to launch a Public Benefit Corporation to commercialize some the products that the HCDS students design and develop.
- Ph.D. Biomedical Engineering, University of California, Davis
- B.S. Aerospace Engineering, State University of New York at Buffalo
My past research interests include:
- Adaptive sports equipment design
- Rehabilitation Engineering
- Medical device design
- Computer Assisted Surgery
- Musculoskeletal, Orthopaedic, occupational, and sports biomechanics
- Techniques used range from mechanical testing to computer simulation and modeling
- Giannetti, R; Petrella, AJ; Bach, JM; Silverman, AK; Sáenz Nuño, MA; Pérez Mallada, N; In Vivo Bone Position Measurement Using High-Frequency Uptrasound Validated with D-D Optical Motion Capture Systems: A Feasibility Study; Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering, 2016.
- Rempel, DM; Keir, PJ; Bach, JM; The Effect of Wrist Posture on Carpal Tunnel Pressure while Typing, Journal of Orthopaedic Research, , Vol. 26, No. 9, 2008, pp. 1269-1273.
- Gustave, BW; Eckhoff, DE; Lewandowski, SK; Peacher, G; Van Gerven, DP; Bach, JM; 206 Differences Between Left and Right Acetabular Anteversion is a Factor to Consider During Computer-Assisted Navigation; Journal of Investigative Medicine, Dec 2005, 54(1), S115.4-S115.
- Eckhoff, DG; Bach, JM; Spitzer, VM; Reinig, KD; Bagur, MM; Baldini, TH; Flannery; NMP; Three-Dimensional Mechanics, Kinematics, and Morphology of the Knee Viewed in Virtual Reality; Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. Am., Dec 2005, 87, pp. 71 – 80.
- Eilert, RE, Hill, K; Bach, J; Greater Trochanteric Transfer for the Treatment of Coxa Brevis. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, Vol 434, 2005, pp 92-101.
- Erickson, M.; Oliver, T.; Baldini, T.; Bach, J.M.; Biomechanical Assessment of Conventional Unit Rod Fixation Versus a Unit Rod Pedicle Screw Construct: A Human Cadaver Study; Spine, Vol 29, No. 12, 2004, pp 1314-1319.
- McDuffee, LA; Stover, SM; Bach, JM; Taylor, KT; An In Vitro Biomechanical Investigation of an Equine Interlocking Nail. Veterinary Surgery, Vol. 29, No. 1, 2000, pp. 38-47.
- Bach, JM; Hull, ML; Strain of the Anterior Cruciate Ligament Increases Linearly with Quadriceps Contraction. Skiing Trauma and Safety: Twelfth Volume, ASTM STP 1345, R. Johnson, Ed., American Society for Testing and Materials, West Conshohocken, PA, 1999, pp. 94-104.
- Bach, JM; Hull, ML; Strain Inhomogeneity in the Anterior Cruciate Ligament Under Application of External and Muscular Loads, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. Vol. 120, No. 4, 1998, pp. 497-503.
- Keir, PJ; Bach, JM; Rempel, DM; Fingertip Loading and Carpal Tunnel Pressure: Differences Between Pinching and Pressing Tasks, Journal of Orthopaedic Research, Vol. 16, No. 1, 1998, pp. 112-115.
- Bach, JM; Patterson, HA; Hull, ML; Direct Measurement of Strain in the Posterolateral Bundle of the Anterior Cruciate Ligament, Journal of Biomechanics, Vol. 30, No. 3, 1997, pp. 281-283.
- Bach, JM; Hull, ML; A New Load Application System for In Vitro Study of Ligamentous Injuries to the Human Knee Joint, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, Vol. 117, No. 4, 1995, pp. 373-382.