Jaime Francisco Moraga
Jaime “Jim” Moraga
PhD Student, Research Assistant
Department of Mining Engineering, ERDE Program
More than 20 years experience in operational improvement and line management across many industries and cultures, including financial services, information technology, telecommunications, and metals & mining in the US, Canada, South America, Australia and Africa
Currently in Colorado School of Mines’ ERDE Program, working as a Research Assistant to Professor H. Sebnem Duzgun, in the project [DOE GTO/EE0008760] “Detection of Potential Geothermal Exploration Sites from Hyperspectral Images via Deep Learning”. In this capacity, I am using Machine Learning Models, Remote Sensing (Land Surface Temperature, Hyperspectral and Multispectral data, Synthetic Aperture Radar), to facilitate Geothermal Exploration.
- Other professional interests include: Operations management, Business Improvement, Strategic Sourcing, Negotiation, Change Management, Maintenance and IT.
- Last industry experience: PwC’s Advisory Mining Leader for the US, where my role was to bring the network’s global capabilities and more than 1,500 mining professionals to Mining Industry clients in the US and Mexico. Before that I worked as a consultant for Partners in Performance (Australia / US), and McKinsey and Company (Brazil / Chile).
- Specialties: Corporate strategy, Business Improvement, Strategic sourcing and Negotiation, Supply Chain Management, Operations Management, Change management, Marketing strategy, Growth Strategies and New Product Development, Product Management, Information Technologies and Project / Portfolio Management.
- My publications
- BS in Engineering, Universidad de Santiago de Chile, 1994
- Professional Degree in Computer Engineering, Universidad de Santiago de Chile, 1997
- Master of Business Administration, University of Michigan – Ross School of Business, 2005
- PhD in Earth Resources Development Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, 2021 (expected)
- Machine Learning
- Object Classification in 2D images and 3D point clouds
- Object recognition
- Supervised and Unsupervised classification and clustering
- Convolutional Neural Networks (CNN)
- Deep Learning
- Self Organizing Maps (SOM)
- K-means clustering
- Support Vector Machines (SVM)
- Spatial Statistics
- Time series analysis of Remote Sensing Data
- Applied to surface deformation
- Applied to temperature anomalies
- Spectral Analysis
- Mineral Mapping
- Land-use / land-cover
- Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar (InSAR)
- Differential Interferometric SAR (DInSAR),
- Persistent Scatterer Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar (PSInSAR), and
- Multitemporal Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar (Multi-temporal InSAR)
- Geothermal exploration
- Çavur, Mahmut, Jaime Moraga, H. Sebnem Duzgun, Hilal Soydan, and Ge Jin. “Displacement Analysis of Geothermal Field Based on PSInSAR And SOM Clustering Algorithms A Case Study of Brady Field, Nevada—USA.” Remote Sensing 13, no. 3 (January 20, 2021): 349. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs13030349.
- Moraga, Jaime, Gurbet Gurkan, and Prof. Dr. H. Sebnem Duzgun. “Monitoring The Impacts of a Tailings Dam Failure Using Satellite Images.” In USSD Elevate Conference 2020, Vol. 2020. Denver, CO: United States Society on Dams (USSD), 2020. https://ussd.conferencespot.org/assets/attachments/0360_0531_000071.pdf.
- Moraga, Jim, Gurbet Gurkan, and Sebnem Duzgun. “Monitoring Impacts of a Tailings Dam Failure with Satellite Images and Machine Learning.” Powerpoint Presentation as PDF presented at the MineXchange 2020 SME Annual Conference & Expo, Phoenix, AZ, February 24, 2020. https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.26473.93282.
- Moraga, Jim. “Object Detection from Multi Sensor Data for Autonomous Underground Mine Mapping.” Powerpoint Presentation as PDF presented at the RMACC 2019 HPC Symposium Institution: Rocky Mountain Advanced Computing Consortium (RMACC), Boulder, CO, May 22, 2019. https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.34023.68000
Former Consulting Clients
Most engagements were on operational / financial diagnostics, change management, operations improvement and procurement (Strategic and Rapid Sourcing)
- Defence Support Group, Australia, 2009
- ANZ Bank, Australia, 2009
- Cricket Communications, USA, 2009
- Codelco, Chile, 2007
- Masisa, Chile, 2007
- Confidential – Airlines, Chile, 2007
- Ultragaz, Brazil, 2007
- MTN, South Africa, 2006
- Confidential – Financial Services, Brazil, 2006
- Telefonica, Chile, 2005
- Ford Motor Company, USA, 2003-2005