311E Berthoud Hall, 1516 Illinois St, Golden, CO 80401 phone: +1 303.273.3822 email: email@example.com
- 2020- Associate Dean, Earth and Society Programs at The Colorado School of Mines
- 2016- Professor, Department of Geology and Geological Engineering at The Colorado School of Mines (with courtesy joint appointments in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and the Department of Geophysics)
- 2016-2019 Associate Department Head, Department of Geology and Geological Engineering at The Colorado School of Mines
- 2018 Interim Director, Hydrologic Science and Engineering Program at The Colorado School of Mines
- 2014-2017 Associate Director, Hydrologic Science and Engineering Program at The Colorado School of Mines
- 2012-2016 Associate Professor, Department of Geology and Geological Engineering at The Colorado School of Mines
- 2011-2012 Associate Professor, Department of Geosciences at The Pennsylvania State University
- 2005-2012 Associate, Earth and Environmental Systems Institute at The Pennsylvania State University
- 2005-2011 Assistant Professor, Department of Geosciences at The Pennsylvania State University
- 2003-2004 Lecturer, Department of Geophysics at Stanford University
- 2003-2004 Instructor, Outdoor Education Program at Stanford University
- 1997-2000 Student Trainee, Hydrology, Branch of Geophysics (now Hydrogeophysics Branch), U.S. Geological Survey
- PhD – 2005 in Hydrogeology from Stanford University
- BSc – 1999 with Honors in Geophysics from University of Connecticut
Awards and Honors
- 2019 – Fulbright Scholar (Ireland)
- 2019 – Colorado School of Mines W. M. Keck Mentorship Award
- 2019 – Colorado School of Mines Faculty Senate Distinguished Lecturer
- 2018 – Fellow, Geological Society of America
- 2017 – Society of Exploration Geophysicists Women’s Network Committee’s Pioneer in Geophysics
- 2017 – Colorado School of Mines Dean’s Faculty Excellence Award
- 2017 – The National Ground Water Association Darcy Lecturer
- 2015 – “Top 31” Presentation (out of ~1100) from the Society of Exploration Geophysicists Annual Meeting
- 2014 – Outstanding Faculty Member in the Colorado School of Mines Hydrologic Science and Engineering Program
- 2013 – Water Resources Research Editor’s Choice Award for Ward et al. (2012)
- 2012 – Penn State College of Earth and Mineral Sciences Wilson Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2011 – Penn State George W. Atherton Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2009 – Environmental and Engineering Geophysical Society/Geonics Early Career Award
- 2008 – National Science Foundation CAREER Award (5 years)
- 2004 – Best Oral Presentation, School of Earth Sciences Research Review, Stanford University
- 2003 – Outstanding Student Paper, Hydrology Section, Fall AGU Meeting
- 2000 – STAR Fellow, Environmental Protection Agency (3 years)
- 1999 – Outstanding Woman in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, University of Connecticut
- 1999 – John B. Lucke Award for Outstanding Geology Student, University of Connecticut
- 1995 – Presidential Scholar, University of Connecticut (4 years)
- 2019 – Visiting International Research Fellowship, Flinders University, Australia
- 2018 – Gallagher Fellow, University of Calgary, Canada
- 2018 – Fellow, Payne Institute, Colorado School of Mines
- 2017 – Ben Fryrear Endowed Chair for Innovation and Excellence at the Colorado School of Mines (3 years)
- 2014 – Faculty Fellow, McBride Honors Program, Colorado School of Mines
- 2008 – Research Fellow, Institut de Géophysique, Université de Lausanne, Switzerland (2 years)
- 2007 – Faculty Fellow, Alliance for Earth Sciences, Engineering, and Development in Africa (AESEDA), Penn State (3 years)
- 1999 – Cecil Green Fellow, Geophysics Department, Stanford University
Career Development and Training
- 2020 – Participant, Advocacy & Water Protection in Native California Certificate Program, Humboldt State University Department of Native American Studies
- 2020 – Participant, Engineering and Facilitating Online Learning, Colorado School of Mines
- 2019 – Participant, Open Educational Resources OER@Mines Champion Certificate Program
- 2019 – Participant, American Geosciences Institute Geoscience Congressional Visits Days (also in 2020)
- 2016 – Participant, Harvard University’s Management Development Program
- 2006 – Participant, National Association of Geoscience Teachers’ Early Career Faculty Workshop
- 2005 – Participant, National Association of Geoscience Teachers’ Teaching Hydrogeology in the 21st Century Workshop
- Wilderness First Responder (current certification through 5/2023)
- environmental geophysics
- critical zone science
- integration of field data and numerical modeling
- physical processes controlling solute and contaminant mass transport
- integration of geophysical imaging with flow and transport modeling
- groundwater at interfaces, including groundwater-surface water exchange (see video from our 2016 CUAHSI workshop) and groundwater-evapotranspiration connections in critical zone science (see video about CZ science)
Recent Research Papers
(+=undergraduate student author, *=graduate student author, #=postdoc author; click here for full list and pdfs)
- Hall, N.*, Rust, A.#, Hogue, T., and Singha, K. (submitted). Analysis of watershed parameters controlling turbidity following the West Fork Complex Fire. Submitted to Journal of Hydrology.
- Singha, K., Johnson, T., Day-Lewis, F., and Slater, L. (in press). Electrical Imaging in Hydrogeology. A Groundwater Project E-Textbook, J. Cherry and E. Poeter, eds. Text available at https://gw-project.org.
- Rickel, A.*, Hoagland, B.#, Navarre-Sitchler, A. and Singha, K. (in press). Seasonal shifts in surface water-groundwater connections from electrical resistivity in a ferricrete-impacted stream. Submitted to Geophysics.
- Sullivan, P.L, Billings, S., Hirmas, D., Li, L., Zhang, X., Ziegler, S., Murenbeeld, K., Ajami, H., Guthrie, A., Singha, K. , Gimenez, D., Duro, A.M., Moreno, V., Flores, A., Cueva, A., Koop, A.N., Aronson, E., Barnard, H., Banwart, S., Keen, R., Nemes, A., Nikolaidis, N., Nippert, J., Richter, D., Robinson, D., Sadayappan, K., Souza, L., Unruh, M., and Wen, H. (in revision). Embracing the dynamic nature of soil structure: A key paradigm shift for illuminating the role of life in critical zones of the Anthropocene. Submitted to Earth-Science Reviews.
- Rey, D.M.*, Hinckley, E.S., Walvoord, M., and Singha, K. (2021). Integrating observations and models to determine the effect of seasonally frozen ground on hydrologic partitioning in alpine hillslopes in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, USA. Hydrologic Processes, https://doi.org/10.1002/hyp.14374.
- Wilhelmsen, K.*, Sawyer, A., Marshall, A.*, McFadden, S.*, Singha, K., Wohl, E. (2021). Laboratory flume and numerical modeling experiments show log jams and branching channels increase hyporheic exchange. Water Resources Research, doi:10.1029/2021WR030299.
- Harmon, R.*, Barnard, H., Day-Lewis, F.D., Mao, D., and Singha, K. (2021). Exploring environmental factors that drive diel variations in tree water storage using wavelet analysis. Frontiers in Water, doi: 10.3389/frwa.2021.682285.
- Foster, A.*, Trautz, A.C.#, Bolster, D., Illangasekare, T., and Singha, K. (2021). Effects of large-scale heterogeneity and temporally varying hydrologic processes on estimating immobile pore space: A mesoscale-laboratory experimental and numerical modeling investigation. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jconhyd.2021.103811.
- Beetle-Moorcroft, F.*, Shanafield, M., and Singha, K. (2021). Exploring conceptual models of infiltration and groundwater recharge on an intermittent river: the role of geologic controls. Journal of Hydrology-Regional Studies, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrh.2021.100814.
- Ader, E.*, Wohl, E., McFadden, S.*, and Singha, K. (2021). Logjams as a driver of transient storage in a mountain stream. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, https://doi.org/10.1002/esp.5057.
(+=undergraduate student author, *=graduate student author, #=postdoc author)
- Warix, S.*, Navarre-Sitchler, A., Singha, K. (2021). Relation between concentration-discharge patterns and groundwater residence times in a headwater stream in the Colorado Front Range. EOS Trans. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract.
- Motz, S.+, Warix, S.*, Navarre-Sitchler, A., and Singha, K. (2021). The influence of topography on discharge and specific conductivity in the Hotel Gulch Watershed in Central Colorado. EOS Trans. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract.
- Marshall, A.*, Wohl, E., Sawyer, A., and Singha, K. (2021). Characterizing logjams as drivers of transient storage at different discharges in a flume. EOS Trans. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract.
- Sklar, L., Callahan, R.#, Carr, B., Chiaviello, A.*, Cist, N.*, Davis, E., Flinchum, B., Harman, C., Hayes, J., Holbrook, S., Litwin, D.*, Moon, S., Neely, A.#, Plante, Z.*, Richter, D., Riebe, C., Singha, K., Weinheimer, N. (2021). Hillslope sediment size controlled by differences in subsurface weathering in a transient Piedmont landscape, South Carolina, USA. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract.
- Hayes, J., Carr, B., Holbrook, S., Callahan, R.#, Harman, C., Riebe, C., Bemis, S., Flinchum, B., Moon, S., Singha, K., Sklar, L. and Aulenbach, B. (2021). Geophysical imaging reveals subsurface controls on weathering thickness at Panola Mountain Research Watershed, Georgia, USA. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract.
- Holbrook, S., Bemis, S., Callahan, R.#, Carr, B., Flinchum, B., Harman, C., Hayes, J., Moon, S., Neely, A.#, Riebe, C., Richter, D., Singha, K., and Sklar, L. (2021). Controls on critical zone thickness in the Appalachian Piedmont: lithology, vegetation, and state of stress. EOS Trans. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract.
- Harman, C.J, Bemis, S.P., Callahan, R.#, Carr, B., Eppinger, B.*, Flinchum, B., Hayes, J., Holbrook, S., Litwin, D.*, Moon, S., Riebe, C., Singha, K., and Sklar, L. (2021). Panola Mountain revisited: intensive geophysical and geochemical studies reveal the structure of the deep critical zone at a classic hydrologic study site. EOS Trans. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract.
- Billings, S.A., Sullivan, P., Hirmas, D.R., Guthrie, A., de Souza, L.G.T., Hauser, E., Wen, H., Li, L., Richter, D., Aronson, E., Ajami, H., Barnard, H.R., Nippert, J., Singha, K., Flores, A., and Bixby, L. (2021). Roots as agents of rapid soil structural change in the Anthropocene. EOS Trans. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract.
- Sullivan, P., Billings, S.A., Hirmas, D.R., Li, L., Ajami, H., Flores, A., Singha, K., Nippert, J., Barnard, H.R., Hauser, E., Koop, A., Zhang, X., and Murenbeeld, K. (2021). When and where do top-down processes govern critical zone structure and feedback to influence climate? EOS Trans. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract.
- Warix, S.*, Heil, E.#, Navarre-Sitchler, A., Singha, K. (2021). Concentration-discharge and mass flux relationships in two alpine headwater catchments. Goldschmidt Conference, 4-9 July, Lyon.
- Sullivan, P., Ajami, H., Barnard, H.R., Billings, S.A., Hirmas, D.R., Keen, R.M., Nippert, J.B., Singha, K. and Zhang, X., (2021). Do root-regolith-rock interactions govern critical zone-climate feedbacks over decades to centuries? Goldschmidt Conference, 4-9 July, Lyon. Invited Keynote.
Recent Invited Talks
- University of Northern Colorado Department of Earth and Atmospheric Science (online)
- National Geophysical Research Institute, India (online)
- Shandong University School of Civil Engineering, China (online)
- Women Advancing River Research Seminar Series (online)
- Wyoming Geophysical Society (online)
- University of Waterloo Water Institute WaterTalks, Canada (online)
- TU Delft/Heriot-Watt Geoscience & GeoEnergy Webinar, Netherlands/UK (online)
- University of Wyoming Department of Geology and Geophysics Diversity and Inclusion in Geosciences Seminar (online)
- Colorado School of Mines Women in Science, Engineering, and Mathematics (online)
- AGU-CUAHSI “Navigating Academic Waters: Essential Skills to Thrive as a Student and Early Career Scientist” (online)
- Beijing Normal University Geographical Science, China (online)
- University College Cork Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Ireland
- Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology, Luxembourg
- Université de Lausanne Institut des Sciences de la Terre (ISTE), Switzerland
- Flinders University, National Centre for Groundwater Research and Training, Australia
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), Waite Campus, Australia
- Environmental Protection Agency, Region 8
- University of Colorado-Boulder Geography Department
- Washington Hydrogeology Symposium
- Colorado School of Mines Faculty Senate Distinguished Lecture
- ETH Zurich Distinguished Women of Environmental Systems Science, Switzerland
- University of Minnesota Saint Anthony Falls Laboratory
- Colorado School of Mines Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Colorado Environmental Management Society
- Editor, Water Resources Research, (2021-present)
- Member of the Expert Advisory and Evaluation Panel for the NSF-funded Characterization and Training of Spatial Skills in Hydrogeology (2020-present)
- Member of the Board of Directors, the Summer of Applied Geophysical Experience (2019-present)
- Invited Participant in the National Academy of Sciences Workshop on Scientific Facility Engagement (2019)
- Planning Committee Member for the National Academy of Sciences Workshop on Groundwater Recharge and Flow (2018-2019)
- Co-organizer (with Mike Gooseff), CUAHSI Techniques for Stream-Groundwater Investigations Workshop (2012, 2016)
- Associate Editor at Water Resources Research (2012-2016), Frontiers in Water (2019-2020)
- Member of the Board of Directors, Consortium of Universities for the Advancement of Hydrologic Science (CUAHSI) (2015-2017)
- Member of the Colorado School of Mines Faculty Senate (2013-2016); Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate (2014-2016)