311E Berthoud Hall, 1516 Illinois St, Golden, CO 80401
phone: +1 303.273.3822
- 2016-0000 Professor, Department of Geology and Geological Engineering at The Colorado School of Mines (with courtesy joint appointments in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and the Department of Geophysics)
- 2016-2019 Associate Department Head, Department of Geology and Geological Engineering at The Colorado School of Mines
- 2018-0000 Interim Director, Hydrologic Science and Engineering Program at The Colorado School of Mines
- 2014-2017 Associate Director, Hydrologic Science and Engineering Program at The Colorado School of Mines
- 2012-2016 Associate Professor, Department of Geology and Geological Engineering at The Colorado School of Mines
- 2011-2012 Associate Professor, Department of Geosciences at The Pennsylvania State University
- 2005-2012 Associate, Earth and Environmental Systems Institute at The Pennsylvania State University
- 2005-2011 Assistant Professor, Department of Geosciences at The Pennsylvania State University
- 2003-2004 Lecturer, Department of Geophysics at Stanford University
- 2003-2004 Instructor, Outdoor Education Program at Stanford University
- 1997-2000 Student Trainee, Hydrology, Branch of Geophysics (now Hydrogeophysics Branch), U.S. Geological Survey
Awards and Honors
2019 – Fulbright Scholar (Ireland)
2019 – Colorado School of Mines W. M. Keck Mentorship Award
2019 – Colorado School of Mines Faculty Senate Distinguished Lecturer
2018 – Fellow, Geological Society of America
2017 – Society of Exploration Geophysicists Women’s Network Committee’s Pioneer in Geophysics
2017 – Colorado School of Mines Dean’s Faculty Excellence Award
2017 – The National Ground Water Association Darcy Lecturer
2015 – “Top 31” Presentation (out of ~1100) from the Society of Exploration Geophysicists Annual Meeting
2014 – Outstanding Faculty Member in the Colorado School of Mines Hydrologic Science and Engineering Program
2013 – Water Resources Research Editor’s Choice Award for Ward et al. (2012)
2012 – Penn State College of Earth and Mineral Sciences Wilson Award for Excellence in Teaching
2011 – Penn State George W. Atherton Award for Excellence in Teaching
2009 – Environmental and Engineering Geophysical Society/Geonics Early Career Award
2008 – National Science Foundation CAREER Award (5 years)
2004 – Best Oral Presentation, School of Earth Sciences Research Review, Stanford University
2003 – Outstanding Student Paper, Hydrology Section, Fall AGU Meeting
2000 – STAR Fellow, Environmental Protection Agency (3 years)
1999 – Outstanding Woman in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, University of Connecticut
1999 – John B. Lucke Award for Outstanding Geology Student, University of Connecticut
1995 – Presidential Scholar, University of Connecticut (4 years)
2019 – Visiting International Research Fellowship, Flinders University, Australia
2018 – Gallagher Fellow, University of Calgary, Canada
2018 – Fellow, Payne Institute, Colorado School of Mines
2017 – Ben Fryrear Endowed Chair for Innovation and Excellence at the Colorado School of Mines (3 years)
2014 – Faculty Fellow, McBride Honors Program, Colorado School of Mines
2008 – Research Fellow, Institut de Géophysique, Université de Lausanne, Switzerland (2 years)
2007 – Faculty Fellow, Alliance for Earth Sciences, Engineering, and Development in Africa (AESEDA), Penn State (3 years)
1999 – Cecil Green Fellow, Geophysics Department, Stanford University
2019 – Participant, Open Educational Resources OER@Mines Champion Certificate Program
2019 – Participant, American Geosciences Institute Geoscience Congressional Visits Days
2016 – Participant, Harvard University’s Management Development Program
2006 – Participant, National Association of Geoscience Teachers’ Early Career Faculty Workshop
2005 – Participant, National Association of Geoscience Teachers’ Teaching Hydrogeology in the 21st Century Workshop
physical processes controlling solute and contaminant mass transport
integration of geophysical imaging with flow and transport modeling
groundwater-surface water exchange (see video from the recent CUAHSI workshop)
critizal zone science (see video about CZ science)
GEGN 466/467 – Groundwater Engineering (Fall)
GEGN 584 – Field Methods in Hydrology (Fall)
GEGN 532 – Geological Data Analysis (Spring)
HNRS 450A – Water, Energy, and the West (taught occasionally) Covered in the Denver Post!
Recent Research Papers
(+=undergraduate student author, *=graduate student author, #=postdoc author; click here for full list and pdfs)
- Cone, K.A.*, Palin, R.M., and Singha, K. (submitted). Unsupervised machine learning with petrological database ApolloBasaltDB reveals complexity in lunar basalt major element oxide and mineral distribution patterns. Submitted to Icarus.
- Hampton, T.B.*, Zarnetske, J.P., Briggs, M.A., MahmoodPoor Dehkordy, F.*, Singha, K., Day-Lewis, F.D., Harvey, J.W., Chowdhury, S.R.*, and Lane, J.W. (submitted). Interactions between hydrologic residence time and reactivity control nitrogen transformations at an urban stream sediment-water interface. Submitted to Biogeochemistry.
- Doughty, M.*, Sawyer, A., Wohl, E., and Singha, K. (submitted). Mapping increases in hyporheic exchange from channel-spanning logjams. Submitted to Journal of Hydrology.
- Rey, D.M.* and Singha, K. (submitted). Exploring the effects of climate change on water availability for renewable energy development in the Indian Wells Valley, California. Submitted to Hydrogeology Journal.
- Swift Bird, K.*, Navarre-Sitchler, A., and Singha, K. (in revision). Hydrogeochemical controls of uranium and arsenic contamination on the Pine Ridge Reservation, South Dakota. Submitted to Applied Geochemistry.
- Harmon, R.*, Barnard, H., and Singha, K. (in revision). Water-table depth and fracture density control magnitude and timing of transpiration-induced diel fluctuations in groundwater. Submitted to Water Resources Research.
- Chowdhury, S.R.*, Zarnetske, J.P, Phanikumar, M.S., Briggs, M.A., Day-Lewis, F.D. and Singha, K. (in revision). Formation criteria for hyporheic anoxic microzones: Assessing interactions of hydraulics, nutrients and biofilms. Submitted to Water Resources Research.
- Voytek, E.B.*, Barnard, H., Jougnot, D., and Singha, K. (2019). Transpiration- and precipitation-induced subsurface water flow observed using the self-potential method. Hydrological Processes, doi: 10.1002/hyp.13453.
- Malenda, H.F.*, Sutfin, N.A.#, Stauffer, S.*, Guryan. G.+, Rowland, J.C., Williams, K.H., and Singha, K. (2019). From Grain to Floodplain: Evaluating heterogeneity of floodplain hydrostatigraphy using sedimentology, geophysics, and remote sensing. Earth Surface and Planetary Landforms, doi:10.1002/esp.4613.
- MahmoodPoor Dehkordy, F.*, Briggs, M.A., Day-Lewis, F.D., Singha, K., Krajnovich, A.*, Hampton, T.*, Zarnetske, J., Scruggs, C.+, and Bagtzoglou, A.C. (2019). Multi-scale preferential flow processes in an urban streambed under variable hydraulic conditions. Journal of Hydrology, doi: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2019.03.022.
- Rey, D.M.*, Walvoord, M., Minsley, B., Rover, J., and Singha, K. (2019). Investigating lake-area dynamics across a permafrost-thaw spectrum using airborne electromagnetic surveys and remote sensing time-series data in Yukon Flats, Alaska. Environmental Research Letters, 14(2), doi: 10.1088/1748-9326/aaf06f.
- Hampton, T.B.*, Zarnetske, J.P., Briggs, M.A., Singha, K., Harvey, J.W., Day-Lewis, F.D., MahmoodPoor Dehkordy, F.*, and Lane, J.W. (2019). Residence time controls on the fate of nitrogen in flow-through lakebed sediments. Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences, doi: 10.1029/2018JG004741.
(+=undergraduate student author, *=graduate student author, #=postdoc author)
- Rickel, A.*, Hoagland, B.#, and Singha, K. (2020). Analysis of the role of ferricrete on groundwater-surface water exchange from electrical resistivity. Symposium on the Application of Geophysics to Engineering and Environmental Problems, March 29-April 2, 2020, Denver CO.
- McFadden, S.*, Gambill, I.+, Wright, G.+, and Singha, K. (2020). Electrical imaging of groundwater-surface water exchange due to logjams and associated geomorphological complexities. Symposium on the Application of Geophysics to Engineering and Environmental Problems, March 29-April 2, 2020, Denver CO.
- Dorley*, J., Gonzalez-Pinzon, R., Emanuelson, K.*, Singley, J.*, Singha, K., Gooseff, M.N. and Covino, T. (2019). Estimating metabolic responses to carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus additions in different stream compartments. EOS Trans. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract.
- Rey, D.*, Walvoord, M., Ebel, B., Minsley, B., Voss, C., and Singha, K. (2019). Measurement and modeling of perennial thaw zone development in boreal Alaska. EOS Trans. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract. Invited.
- Mangel, A.#, Singha, K., and Bradford, J. (2019). Imaging changes in living ponderosa pine tree trunk moisture with multi-offset ground-penetrating radar data. EOS Trans. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract.
- Sullivan, P.L., Gasparini, N., West, N., Singha, K. and Li, L. (2019). Designing a critical zone research coordination network to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion. EOS Trans. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract. Invited.
- Chowdhury, S.R.*, Zarnetske, J.P, Phanikumar, M.S., Briggs, M.A., Day-Lewis, F.D. and Singha, K. (2019). Formation criteria for hyporheic anoxic microzones: Assessing interactions of hydraulics, nutrients and biofilms. EOS Trans. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract.
- MahmoodPoor Dehkordy, F.*, Briggs, M.A., Bagtzoglou, A.C., Day-Lewis, F.D., Dokou, Z., Singha, K., and Zarnetske, J. (2019). Experimental and numerical analysis of less-mobile domain processes in naturally occurring porous media. EOS Trans. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract. Invited.
- Singley, J.G.*, Gooseff, M.N., Singha, K., and Hinckley, E.S. (2019). Delimiting hyporheic area and sub-compartments using electrical resistivity inversions and time series clustering algorithms. EOS Trans. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract.
- Rickel, A.*, Hoagland, B.#, and Singha, K. (2019). Analysis of ferricrete influence on the hyporheic zone of Cement Creek, CO. San Juan Mining and Reclamation Conference & Innovation Expo, September 24-26, 2019, Silverton, CO.
- Hoagland, B.#, Singha, K., and Sitchler, A. (2019). The fate of arsenic: can hydrogeology and microbes mediate As mobilization from AMD? San Juan Mining and Reclamation Conference & Innovation Expo, September 24-26, 2019, Silverton, CO.
- Gambill, I.+, McFadden, S.* and Singha, K. (2019). Characterizing hyporheic activity using electrical resistivity and breakthrough curves. Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science Annual Meeting, October 31 – November 2, 2019, Honolulu, Hawai’i.
- Cone, K.A.*, Palin, R.M., and Singha, K. (2019). Lunar mantle heterogeneity and the Apollo mare basalts: Examples from ApolloBasaltDB. National Annual Meeting of the Geological Society of America, 22-25 September 2019, Phoenix, AZ: GSA Abstracts with Programs.
- Swift Bird, K.*, Navarre-Sitchler, A., and Singha, K. (2019). Hydrogeologic Controls of Arsenic and Uranium Mobility in Groundwater of the Pine Ridge Reservation, South Dakota. Goldschmidt Conference, 18-23 August 2019.
- Zarnetske, J.P, Chowdhury, S.R.*, Phanikumar, M.S., Briggs, M.A., Day-Lewis, F.D., Singha, K. (2019). Assessment of the formation criteria for hyporheic anoxic microzones with computational modeling: Revealing the role of bioclogging. Society of Freshwater Science Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, 19-23 May 2019.
- Singha, K. (2019). How to ask the right questions, choose the right method, and smile as you get things done: A memorial to F. Peter Haeni. The Symposium for the Application of Geophysics to Environmental and Engineering Problems (SAGEEP), 17-21 March 2019, Portland, OR.
Recent Invited Talks
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), Waite Campus, Australia
- Environmental Protection Agency, Region 8 Seminar
- University of Colorado-Boulder Geography Department Seminar
- Washington Hydrogeology Symposium
- Colorado School of Mines Faculty Senate Distinguished Lecture
- ETH Zurich Distinguished Women of Environmental Systems Science
- University of Minnesota Saint Anthony Falls Laboratory Seminar
- Colorado School of Mines Civil and Environmental Engineering Seminar
- Colorado Environmental Management Society
- American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting
- University of Colorado-Boulder Department of Geological Sciences Colloquium
- 8th International Conference on Environmental and Engineering Geophysics, Hangzhou, China
- Colorado State University Natural Resources Ecology Laboratory and Department of Ecosystem Science and Sustainability Joint Seminar
- 4th Cargèse Summer School, France (videos here)
- Colorado School of Mines Petroleum Engineering Department Seminar
- Colorado School of Mines Mining Department Seminar
- Penn State Department of Geosciences Seminar
- The Colorado Groundwater Association
- Darcy Lecture Year: (81 talks total): 1) University of Alberta; 2) University of Calgary; 3) University of British Columbia; 4) Simon Fraser University; 5) Colorado State University; 6) University of Colorado-Boulder; 7) Robert S. Kerr Environmental Research Center (USEPA, Ada, OK); 8) East Central University; 9) Oklahoma State University; 10) Los Alamos National Lab; 11) University of New Mexico; 12) New Mexico Tech; 13) SAGEEP, Denver, Colorado; 14) National University of Mongolia; 15) China University of Geosciences; 16) Hohai University, China; 17) Chinese Academy of Sciences; 18) Southern University of Science and Technology, China; 19) Virginia Tech; 20) Appalachian State University; 21) Clemson University; 22) Portland State University; 23) Oregon State University; 24) University of Nevada-Reno; 25) Stanford University; 26) University of California-Davis; 27) University of Utah; 28) Colorado School of Mines/Modflow and More 2017; 29) Heriot-Watt University, Scotland; 30) Université de Rennes 1, France; 31) Sorbonne Universités, Université Pierre et Marie Curie, France; 32) Universitat Politècnica de València, Spain; 33) Technische Universität Dresden/NovCare 2017, Germany; 34) University of Graz, Austria; 35) Université de Lausanne, Switzerland; 36) Université de Neuchâtel, Switzerland; 37) Universität Freiburg, Germany; 38) Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology (EAWAG), Switzerland; 39) Universität Tübingen, Germany; 40) Karlsruher Institut für Technologie, Germany; 41) Université de Liège, Belgium; 42) Technische Universiteit Delft, Netherlands; 43) IAH Sydney, Australia; 44) IAH Canberra/Geoscience Australia, Australia; 45) IAH Melbourne, Australia; 46) IAH Hobart/University of Tasmania, Australia; 47) National Centre for Groundwater Research and Training/Flinders University, Australia; 48) IAH Perth, Australia; 49) University of Western Australia; 50) IAH Darwin/Charles Darwin University, Australia; 51) CSIRO/James Cook University, Australia; 52) University of Queensland, Australia; 53) Queensland University of Technology, Australia; 54) Aqualinc Research Ltd./University of Canterbury, New Zealand; 55) Royal Society of New Zealand; 56) Southwest Research Institute (SWRI), Austin; 57) University of Texas-Austin; 58) Texas A&M; 59) Kansas State University; 60) University of Kansas; 61) University of Arizona; 62) Ohio State University; 63) Michigan State University; 64) GeoOttawa 2017/IAH Canada; 65) University of Waterloo; 66) Cornell University; 67) SUNY-New Paltz; 68) Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; 69) University of Connecticut; 70) Boston College; 71) University of Massachusetts; 72) Rutgers University-Newark; 73) University of Delaware; 74) Johns Hopkins University; 75) West Virginia University; 76) Geological Society of America, Seattle; 77) University of Washington; 78) University of Pretoria, South Africa; 79) University of the Free State, South Africa; 80) University of the Western Cape, South Africa; 81) NGWA Groundwater Summit, Nashville
- Other non-Darcy invited talks: GSA Pardee Symposia; Colorado School of Mines Van Tuyl Lecture; American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting
Selected Recent Service
- Member of the Board of Directors, the Summer of Applied Geophysical Experience (2019-present)
- Associate Editor at Frontiers in Water (2019-present)
- Invited Participant in the National Academy of Sciences Workshop on Scientific Facility Engagement (2019)
- Planning Committee Member for the National Academy of Sciences Workshop on Groundwater Recharge and Flow (2018-2019)
- Co-organizer (with Mike Gooseff), CUAHSI Techniques for Stream-Groundwater Investigations Workshop (2012, 2016)
- Member of the Board of Directors, Consortium of Universities for the Advancement of Hydrologic Science (CUAHSI) (2015-2017)
- Member of the Colorado School of Mines Faculty Senate (2013-2016); Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate (2014-2016)
- Associate Editor at Water Resources Research (2012-2016)