311E Berthoud Hall, 1516 Illinois St, Golden, CO 80401
phone: +1 303.273.3822
- 2016-0000 Professor, Department of Geology and Geological Engineering at The Colorado School of Mines (with courtesy joint appointments in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and the Department of Geophysics)
- 2016-2019 Associate Department Head, Department of Geology and Geological Engineering at The Colorado School of Mines
- 2018-0000 Interim Director, Hydrologic Science and Engineering Program at The Colorado School of Mines
- 2014-2017 Associate Director, Hydrologic Science and Engineering Program at The Colorado School of Mines
- 2012-2016 Associate Professor, Department of Geology and Geological Engineering at The Colorado School of Mines
- 2011-2012 Associate Professor, Department of Geosciences at The Pennsylvania State University
- 2005-2012 Associate, Earth and Environmental Systems Institute at The Pennsylvania State University
- 2005-2011 Assistant Professor, Department of Geosciences at The Pennsylvania State University
- 2003-2004 Lecturer, Department of Geophysics at Stanford University
- 2003-2004 Instructor, Outdoor Education Program at Stanford University
- 1997-2000 Student Trainee, Hydrology, Branch of Geophysics (now Hydrogeophysics Branch), U.S. Geological Survey
Awards and Honors
2019 – Fulbright Scholar (Ireland)
2019 – Colorado School of Mines W. M. Keck Mentorship Award
2019 – Colorado School of Mines Faculty Senate Distinguished Lecturer
2018 – Fellow, Geological Society of America
2017 – Society of Exploration Geophysicists Women’s Network Committee’s Pioneer in Geophysics
2017 – Colorado School of Mines Dean’s Faculty Excellence Award
2017 – The National Ground Water Association Darcy Lecturer
2015 – “Top 31” Presentation (out of ~1100) from the Society of Exploration Geophysicists Annual Meeting
2014 – Outstanding Faculty Member in the Colorado School of Mines Hydrologic Science and Engineering Program
2013 – Water Resources Research Editor’s Choice Award for Ward et al. (2012)
2012 – Penn State College of Earth and Mineral Sciences Wilson Award for Excellence in Teaching
2011 – Penn State George W. Atherton Award for Excellence in Teaching
2009 – Environmental and Engineering Geophysical Society/Geonics Early Career Award
2008 – National Science Foundation CAREER Award (5 years)
2004 – Best Oral Presentation, School of Earth Sciences Research Review, Stanford University
2003 – Outstanding Student Paper, Hydrology Section, Fall AGU Meeting
2000 – STAR Fellow, Environmental Protection Agency (3 years)
1999 – Outstanding Woman in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, University of Connecticut
1999 – John B. Lucke Award for Outstanding Geology Student, University of Connecticut
1995 – Presidential Scholar, University of Connecticut (4 years)
2019 – Visiting International Research Fellowship, Flinders University, Australia
2018 – Gallagher Fellow, University of Calgary, Canada
2018 – Fellow, Payne Institute, Colorado School of Mines
2017 – Ben Fryrear Endowed Chair for Innovation and Excellence at the Colorado School of Mines (3 years)
2014 – Faculty Fellow, McBride Honors Program, Colorado School of Mines
2008 – Research Fellow, Institut de Géophysique, Université de Lausanne, Switzerland (2 years)
2007 – Faculty Fellow, Alliance for Earth Sciences, Engineering, and Development in Africa (AESEDA), Penn State (3 years)
1999 – Cecil Green Fellow, Geophysics Department, Stanford University
2019 – Participant, Open Educational Resources OER@Mines Champion Certificate Program
2019 – Participant, American Geosciences Institute Geoscience Congressional Visits Days
2016 – Participant, Harvard University’s Management Development Program
2006 – Participant, National Association of Geoscience Teachers’ Early Career Faculty Workshop
2005 – Participant, National Association of Geoscience Teachers’ Teaching Hydrogeology in the 21st Century Workshop
physical processes controlling solute and contaminant mass transport
integration of geophysical imaging with flow and transport modeling
groundwater-surface water exchange (see video from the recent CUAHSI workshop)
critizal zone science (see video about CZ science)
GEGN 466/467 – Groundwater Engineering (Fall)
GEGN 584 – Field Methods in Hydrology (Fall)
GEGN 532 – Geological Data Analysis (Spring)
HNRS 450A – Water, Energy, and the West (taught previously) Covered in the Denver Post!
Recent Research Papers
(+=undergraduate student author, *=graduate student author, #=postdoc author; click here for full list and pdfs)
- Rice, A.K.*, McCray, J.E. and Singha, K. (in revision). Numerical investigation of wellbore methane leakage in dual-domain porous media. Submitted to Water Resources Research.
- Rey, D.M.*, Walvoord, M., Minsley, B., Ebel, B., Voss, C., and Singha, K. (in revision). Wildfire-initiated talik development exceeds current thaw projections: Observations and models from Alaska’s continuous permafrost zone. Submitted to Geophysical Research Letters.
- Luo, Z.*, Deng, Z.#, Singha, K., Liu, N.*, Zhou, Y.*, He, X., Guan, H. (2020). Temporal and spatial variation in water content within living tree stems determined by electrical resistivity tomography. Submitted to Agricultural and Forest Meteorology.
- Hampton, T.B.*, Zarnetske, J.P., Briggs, M.A., MahmoodPoor Dehkordy, F.*, Singha, K., Day-Lewis, F.D., Harvey, J.W., Chowdhury, S.R.*, and Lane, J.W. (2020). Experimental shifts of hydrologic residence time in a sandy urban stream sediment–water interface alter nitrate removal and nitrous oxide fluxes. Biogeochemistry, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10533-020-00674-7.
- Doughty, M.*, Sawyer, A., Wohl, E., and Singha, K. (2020). Mapping increases in hyporheic exchange from channel-spanning logjams. Journal of Hydrology, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2020.124931.
- Cone, K.A.*, Palin, R.M., and Singha, K. (2020). Unsupervised machine learning with petrological database ApolloBasaltDB reveals complexity in lunar basalt major element oxide and mineral distribution patterns. Icarus, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icarus.2020.113787.
- Harmon, R.*, Barnard, H., and Singha, K. (2020). Water-table depth and bedrock permeability control magnitude and timing of transpiration-induced diel fluctuations in groundwater. Water Resources Research, 56, e2019WR025967. https://doi.org/10.1029/2019WR025967.
- Chowdhury, S.R.*, Zarnetske, J.P, Phanikumar, M.S., Briggs, M.A., Day-Lewis, F.D. and Singha, K. (2020). Formation criteria for hyporheic anoxic microzones: Assessing interactions of hydraulics, nutrients and biofilms. Water Resources Research, https://doi.org/10.1029/2019WR025971.
- Swift Bird, K.*, Navarre-Sitchler, A., and Singha, K. (2020). Hydrogeochemical controls of arsenic and uranium contamination on the Pine Ridge Reservation, South Dakota. Applied Geochemistry, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apgeochem.2020.104522.
(+=undergraduate student author, *=graduate student author, #=postdoc author)
- Gambill, I.+, McFadden, S.* and Singha, K. (2020). Characterizing hyporheic activity using electrical resistivity and concentration breakthrough curves. GSA Cordilleran Section Meeting, 12-14 May, Pasadena, CA.
- Singha, K., Doughty, M.*, McFadden, S.*, Sawyer, A.H., Wohl, E. (2020). Mapping increases in hyporheic exchange from channel-spanning logjams. EGU General Assembly, 3-8 May, Vienna.
- Rickel, A.*, Hoagland, B.#, and Singha, K. (2020). Analysis of the role of ferricrete on groundwater-surface water exchange from electrical resistivity. Symposium on the Application of Geophysics to Engineering and Environmental Problems, March 29-April 2, 2020, Denver CO.
- McFadden, S.*, Gambill, I.+, Wright, G.+, and Singha, K. (2020). Electrical imaging of groundwater-surface water exchange due to logjams and associated geomorphological complexities. Symposium on the Application of Geophysics to Engineering and Environmental Problems, March 29-April 2, 2020, Denver CO.
Recent Invited Talks
- University College Cork Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Ireland
- Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology
- Université de Lausanne Institut des Sciences de la Terre (ISTE), Switzerland
- Flinders University, National Centre for Groundwater Research and Training, Australia
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), Waite Campus, Australia
- Environmental Protection Agency, Region 8
- University of Colorado-Boulder Geography Department
- Washington Hydrogeology Symposium
- Colorado School of Mines Faculty Senate Distinguished Lecture
- ETH Zurich Distinguished Women of Environmental Systems Science, Switzerland
- University of Minnesota Saint Anthony Falls Laboratory
- Colorado School of Mines Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Colorado Environmental Management Society
- American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting
- University of Colorado-Boulder Department of Geological Sciences Colloquium
- 8th International Conference on Environmental and Engineering Geophysics, Hangzhou, China
- Colorado State University Natural Resources Ecology Laboratory and Department of Ecosystem Science and Sustainability Joint Seminar
- 4th Cargèse Summer School, France (videos here)
- Colorado School of Mines Petroleum Engineering Department
- Colorado School of Mines Mining Department
- Penn State Department of Geosciences
- The Colorado Groundwater Association
Selected Recent Service
- Member of the Board of Directors, the Summer of Applied Geophysical Experience (2019-present)
- Associate Editor at Frontiers in Water (2019-present)
- Invited Participant in the National Academy of Sciences Workshop on Scientific Facility Engagement (2019)
- Planning Committee Member for the National Academy of Sciences Workshop on Groundwater Recharge and Flow (2018-2019)
- Co-organizer (with Mike Gooseff), CUAHSI Techniques for Stream-Groundwater Investigations Workshop (2012, 2016)
- Member of the Board of Directors, Consortium of Universities for the Advancement of Hydrologic Science (CUAHSI) (2015-2017)
- Member of the Colorado School of Mines Faculty Senate (2013-2016); Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate (2014-2016)
- Associate Editor at Water Resources Research (2012-2016)