Educated in engineering, design, and liberal arts, I am a generalist who enjoys exploring complex ideas from varied perspectives. With roughly 10 years of combined practice as a structural engineer and as an architect, I have accrued special expertise in historic preservation and archaic construction techniques. My teaching portfolio includes reading-intensive and seminar-style classes, writing-intensive classes, computational classes, and design/project-based classes. I maintain licensure as a Professional Engineer (Virginia, Alabama) and a Registered Architect (District of Columbia). My professional portfolio includes the National Gallery of Art, National Portrait Gallery, The Farnsworth House, Second Avenue Subway, and the Washington Convention Center,
- M. S. Civil Engineering, University of Illinois
- B. Architecture, Auburn University
- B. A. Spanish, Auburn University
Colorado School of Mines
- Innovation and Discovery in Engineering, Arts, and Sciences I and II
- Structural Preservation of Existing and Historic Buildings
- The Triumphs and Failures of the Brooklyn Bridge (anticipated Spring 2020)
- Senior Design I and II
- Mechanics of Materials
- Structural Theory
- Introduction to Construction Engineering
John Cabot University
- Structures I, II, and III
- Historic Preservation
- Construction Methods
- Construction Safety
- Soils and Foundations
Publications and Presentations
- Reynolds, S. M. (2017) Reversibility in Historic Preservation and its Application to Sustainable Design Practices in New Construction. Panel discussion, 2017 ASCE Structures Congress, Denver, Colorado.
- Reynolds, S. M. (2016) Critical Thinking for Open-Ended Engineering Problems Through Written Reflection: A Case Study. Paper presented at 2016 ASEE Rocky Mountain Section Conference, Cedar City, Utah.
- Reynolds, S. M. & Tackie, R. N. (2016) A Novel Approach to Skeleton-Note Instruction in Large Engineering Courses: Unified and Concise Handouts that are Fun and Colorful. Paper presented at 2016 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Reynolds, S. M. (2016) A Pedagogical Approach for a Sophomore Mechanics of Materials Course. Extended abstract presented at 2016 MYEE Conference, College Station, Texas.
- Turner, C. J. & Reynolds, S. M. (2014) Multidisciplinary Construction Engineering Design Projects. Paper presented at the 2014 ASEE Annual Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana.